Rangers & Pioneers of Texas
Rangers, Pioneers, Blood, and the Truth
"Meaty with the character of ready-to-fight but peace-seeking Texas pioneers. Sowell will some day be recognized as an extraordinary chronicler. A graphic book down to bedrock."
- J. Frank Dobie on Rangers & Pioneers of Texas
Dobie loved this book, and thought a lot of its author. Unfortunately, in an age of political correctness and revisionism, A. J. Sowell has been set aside.
Sowell's history is not all clean and corporate. It's a Texan's history.
It's not all neat and tidy, and it's the loose ends that make it interesting.
What do you want to read about first?
- How Texas Rangers survived off the land
- How some Texians waited out the revolution in safety...at sea
- How rattlesnakes were so big and numerous in a prickly pear flat that Rangers pursuing bandits had to turn back
- How his mother refused to eat at the same table with Santa Anna
- What it was like to face Indians in battle for the first time
- How the Bowie knife came to have a guard
- A survivor's account of the Goliad massacre
- Colorful things drunken cowboys liked to holler
- The names of over 500 Texas Rangers and pioneers
- His first hand account of the Texas Rangers' Wichita Mountain Campaign of 1871
- Accounts of over 100 battles with Mexicans and Indians
- The exploits of Edward Burleson, Jack Hays, Rip Ford, Big Foot Wallace, Mustang Grey and others
- How the news of the Alamo's fall was brought to Gonzales
This list can go on and on. These are true stories you will love repeating.
- Rangers and Pioneers of Texas by Andrew Jackson Sowell
- Standard Edition Hardcover
- Satin Finish Jacket
- 415 pages
- Allow two weeks for shipping.
- Shipping for your entire order is 5 dollars, anywhere in the United States.
- Your book will be packed the old fashioned way, in an actual box. No cheap book mailers.
We will gladly buy it back if you decide you don't want it anymore. There's no time limit on that.